Thursday 4 December 2008

Kanye West. 808s & Heartbreak.

I've seen this dotted around a few Internet-based areas and thought it was a very interesting report/interview. If you don't know, I've been hating on kanye's latest album quite hard, however after doing some research and reading through this article i understand a lot more of what it is about now and can definitely respect him for taking such an adventurous musical progression.
It seems kanye is experiencing quite a traumatic time in his life and i don't think he really knows where he is at anymore..
I found some of the things in this article pretty touching as "he blames fame and success, and hence himself, for what happened over the past year" -the death of his mother, due to or as a consequence of liposuction and mammoplasty, and the separation with his fiancee.
Another quote showing this is from lyrics songs recounting how "My friend showed me pictures of his kids, but all I could show him was pictures of my cribs." After admitting that it is lonely at the top..
Kanye says he is rearranging his goals and motives in life with it being less about material goods and possessions than love and fulfillment.
Many are suggesting, and it seems slightly evident within the article, that he could be mentally or psychologically unstable. It would be a shame if he became a victim to fame, success and money..
I don't really enjoy gossip and talk about celebrities etc. however i am a big fan of kanye and found it interesting to relate his vibes at the moment to the sounds of the new album.
I'm definitely going to have a closer listen to this album and base my opinion of it on a new perspective. I think one thing for sure is that kanye continues to be breaking boundaries in music. i.e. 'popart' being his latest exploit.

Check this article. I recommend you read it, as it's where I've based most of this post on:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/30/kanye-west-new-album-heartbreak

Check Kanye's blog too:
http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blog/

The album 808s & Heartbreak was released on Nov25th.
'cop it for an interesting listen.



word.

rk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

'It would be a shame if he became a victim to fame, success and money..' is he not already?

ProphetNine said...

i agree. For me, Kanye fell off a while ago, his just dnt have the passion or energy they used to have.

Anonymous said...

£5 says he becomes the next Britney Spears! any takers?
As for the music, deeper meaning or not, i still think hes capable of doing alot better

i am rk. said...

true true but they were all my points anyway.
that was what i thought but then i after reading this article i gave him a bit more of a chance.

and what i mean anon. was a victim such as m.jackson or britney as ant mentioned..
someone totally F'd up..
who knows and cares really.. still, i just thought was a topic that would cause discussion, hence the blog.
word.

Anonymous said...

ye beats r still fire tho